Mergers and Acquisitions
Our mergers and acquisitions practice serves a broad range of clients, from large public and private companies to smaller entrepreneurial clients involved in a variety of industry sectors. We represent clients on both the buy side and the sell side of domestic, cross-border, and international transactions.
Our years of experience, the proper combination of skills and resources, and a strong focus on practical results ensure that transactions advance smoothly through all stages of the process, from planning and structuring to post-closing matters. Our approach is to work closely from the outset with all parties to move deals forward. Because mergers and acquisitions usually give rise to legal issues in many different areas, we will assemble a supporting team of tax, competition, real estate, intellectual property, and employment lawyers to advise on the various aspects of the transaction. Whether the business is large or small, private or public, our team has the expertise to guide and support our clients through these often complex transactions and to help them close the deal and achieve their business goals.
The services we provide in merger and acquisition transactions include:
- advising on issues relating to takeovers of public companies and preparing and negotiating all related documents, including lock-up agreements and takeover bid circulars
- advising on other significant legal issues relating to the proposed transaction, including employment and labour, intellectual property, environmental, and real estate matters
- advising on taxation issues and strategies
- advising on the potential application or impact of competition and foreign investment laws
- assisting clients in arranging financing and negotiating and drafting financing and security documents
- coordinating and conducting comprehensive legal due diligence on target companies
- ensuring regulatory compliance and securing approvals and consents
- negotiating and drafting all transaction documents, including letters of intent, asset and share purchase agreements, and non-competition agreements
- working with clients to shape strategies and to structure the transaction in the most effective manner
Related Practice Areas