Intellectual Property and Information Technology
Our intellectual property and information technology lawyers have extensive experience providing technology law and intellectual property services to a wide variety of industry sectors, including the information technology sector.
Intellectual property is a critical component in most businesses today. Whether it be trade-marks, copyright, patents, trade secrets or other forms of intellectual property, our IP professionals regularly advise clients on the many aspects of dealing with intellectual property and assist them in obtaining, maintaining, and enforcing their intellectual property rights.
Our services in this area include:
- drafting and negotiating all types of contracts involving to protect intellectual property rights, including non-disclosure agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-competition agreements, and employee or contractor invention agreements
- drafting and negotiating contracts to develop, exploit, acquire or dispose of intellectual property rights, such as research and development agreements, licensing agreements, distribution agreements, and technology transfer agreements
Intellectual Property Litigation
- enforcing and defending intellectual property rights by means of cease and desist letters, expungement applications, passing-off actions, and other intellectual property-related litigation
- protecting and enforcing rights in internet domain names by means of litigation or other forms of dispute resolution, such as ICANN's uniform dispute resolution policy
- providing registrability and availability opinions and preparing, filing, prosecuting, and maintaining applications to obtain and protect intellectual property rights
- structuring, documenting, and maintaining their intellectual property portfolios world-wide through our network of correspondents
In today's fast-paced, wired world, all businesses, large and small, are frequently faced with information technology-related questions. Our lawyers advise clients on the impact of new technologies on commercial relationships. We represent existing and start-up information technology companies with the creation and implementation of their financing, development, licensing, manufacturing, distribution, and marketing arrangements. We also act for clients in their acquisitions of specialized hardware and software systems.
Our services in the information technology field include:
- advising our clients on IT issues relating to their own business activities, such as the development and implementation of corporate policies relating to privacy, data retention, and employee use of email and internet
- drafting and negotiating IT-related contracts, such as software development agreements, outsourcing agreements, software licence agreements, IT system procurement agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, consulting/professional services agreements, and distribution agreements
Related Practice Areas