Litigation / Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
Our lawyers have diverse expertise in litigation, arbitration, and dispute resolution, representing our clients before all levels of courts and administrative tribunals. Whether defending complex securities claims, coordinating the most effective strategies in multi-national disputes, or litigating contractual disputes, our team approach ensures optimal results for our clients.
We view our clients as business partners and value the opportunity to support and defend their rights, not only in the “big cases” but also in day-to-day challenges, such as collections. Our aggressive, goal oriented and practical approach to collections provide maximum results for our clients, but our holistic approach leads us to counsel our clients on the best practices to minimize future risk.
The group's extensive experience in litigation and dispute resolution includes acting for clients in matters involving:
- commercial injunctions
- commercial negligence, insurance and product liability claims
- construction litigation, including claims for lien rights, claims for defective workmanship and supplies, as well as delay claims
- contractual disputes and collection matters
- corporate, securities, shareholder and partnership disputes
- employment and labour litigation
- environmental and real estate litigation
- estate litigation
- intellectual property disputes, including trademark and copyright infringement, passing-off, and domain name disputes
- recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards
- taking of evidence for use in foreign proceedings
- tax litigation
Increasingly, we find our clients turning to arbitration as an effective and private form of dispute resolution. We are regularly called upon to assist clients with both international and domestic commercial arbitration matters. Our lawyers have acted as arbitrators in commercial arbitrations and have also represented clients in arbitrations under the rules of various arbitral bodies including, the International Chamber of Commerce, the American Arbitration Association and other institutional arbitrations. Our lawyers act for clients with ad hoc arbitrations arising out of private contractual arrangements which may be governed by domestic arbitration statutes. We also represent clients in the enforcement and recognition of foreign arbitral awards under international treaties such as the New York Convention.