An effective estate plan requires a thorough understanding of the personal circumstances and objectives of our clients. Our interdisciplinary team of lawyers work closely with clients and their other advisors to develop and implement an integrated plan that will ensure their estate is distributed according to their wishes. Our clients with multi-jurisdictional issues also benefit from our network of professionals in Canada and abroad to receive seamless advice with all of their estate-planning needs.
Many of our clients have assets or family in more than one jurisdiction or are dual residents. Our knowledge of various legal and tax systems allows us to take full advantage of planning opportunities resulting in particular from the interaction of Anglo-Saxon concepts, like trusts, with the laws of jurisdictions with a civilian tradition, such as continental Europe countries.
Our expert tax lawyers provide a complete array of Canadian estate-related tax advice for clients with domestic, cross-border or off-shore requirements. Our objective is to take advantage of all legitimate opportunities to reduce taxes while always keeping in mind the practical difficulties of living with sophisticated schemes in a business or family context.
Our services include:
- advising on charitable giving
- advising on substitute decision-making and mental incapacity planning
- advising on the use of tax-planned trusts and wills to protect assets and achieve wealth distribution objectives while minimizing tax consequences and reducing probate fees
- cross-border will and trust planning for clients with dual residences or with assets or family in more than one jurisdiction
- developing succession plans to transfer family businesses from one generation to the next
- preparing continuing powers of attorney for property and durable powers of attorney,
- preparing powers of attorney for personal care and “Living Wills”
- preparing trusts and wills
Related Practice Areas